Friday, May 8, 2009

Damn Griffin

I am one of those people who is completely OCD about my electronics. I love to keep them in brand new mint condition. Even before I get some new electronic toy, I have already planned out which case and screen protector I am getting. The process usually takes a few days as I read through every single review for every single possible case or protective covering. The second my new toy come out of the box, it immediately goes into the well researched product and get a protective screen protector slapped onto it. It usually stayed like this for a good two years or until I decide to sell it off.

I bought an iClear by Griffin for my iPod touch in January. Being the coolest piece of technology I currently own, I had no problem dropping $30usd on a case that I thought would do the job. I spent about three days reading iPod touch case reviews on ilounge.com. I avoided a silicon case because from previous experience with my other iPods, I noticed that dust would always get in btwn the case and the back and cause scratches. The polycarbonate case seemed like the way to go this time. It was hard, sturdy, and there was no room in the back for dust to get in. I got the iClear nano version for my 3g nano last year and it was great.

The case seemed really solid. The top and back piece snapped in place and it takes quite a bit of effort to take it apart again. The form is perfectly shaped for the touch and so it doesn't rattle around inside.

I've been tempted by the pretty iPod cases on the side of the streets in HK. They have so many different varieties and colors, and they are all so damn cheap. I could get one for $3-$5usd. But everytime I go to look at them, I remind myself that the plastic is not as good quality and that it may scratch up my iPod. I don't trust them because they don't have that damn brand label on them. Today I realized, that it probably doesn't matter.

I dropped my iPod today. It was a saddening moment. I dropped it from about two and a half feet above the ground. It just slipped out of my hand and just fell. Its one of those things that you see happen in slow motion. I saw it falling but then I was like "it'll be okay, I have a really good case on it." Oh how I was wrong. The second it hit the floor, the case split open and sent my iPod touch skidding five feet on its shiny back over a brick pavement.

I hate you Griffin, and your POS iClear.

No comments:

Post a Comment